Great Big Pattern Swap #2 – New Look K6023

There has been a fantastic swap/challenge happening on Instagram during July/August using the hashtag #greatbigpatternswap. The swap is hosted by Emma @thezipperfoot and Alice @the.polka.dot.palace and the idea was to list any patterns you didn’t want so people could request them. Then when you receive you patterns you’ve got until 18th August to make them and there’s a chance to win some lovely prizes!

Here we have my second entry to The Great Big Pattern Swap, this one has tested my patience!

I have always liked this style of shift dress and have a ready to wear Long tall Sally one very similar which I have recently started wearing for work and love. I was sent this pattern by @jennylovestosew and knew straight away I’d make a work dress but in my head I had a wool type fabric in mind. However due to time ticking by for the challenge I decided to make a wearable toile from some navy patterned cotton fabric I had 5 metres of from the charity shop (which I got for a bargain £3!).

I made view D but decided to line the bodice therefore did not go for the neck facing as thought it would be too much. Everything went together like a dream and the bodice didn’t need much alteration just took it in ever so slightly at the shoulders and I added my standard two inches to the skirt length.

I was very pleased with the lining and I love the square neck. I also did French seams as I love the look they give to the finished dress.

Then I did my final try on and realised the skirt was too small around the hips!!! I could get it on but there was absolutely no chance I would be able to sit at my desk or drive my car wearing it.

I was very disappointed as I’d slowed down so much and made everything perfect. I could have easily given up, but no! The dress was not the boss, I was! Luckily I had the 5 metres of fabric as I decided (after letting out darts and trying to reduce seam allowance) that the only way was to cut the skirt in a bigger size!

I reduced the seam allowance on the waistband and graded it in to the bodice by letting out the sides slightly, which gave me enough room to add the bigger skirt. It took ages and doesn’t look as neat as it did, but I’m so pleased I persevered and feel like I learnt a lot with this one!

I still plan to make a wool version for work and hopefully will see something I like next week when I plan to go fabric shopping to Birmingham, which I’m combining with a trip to the museum so the boys can see ” Dippy the Dinosaur”.

My face reflects how long is spent messing around adjusting things!!

Thanks again to Emma and Alice, this challenge is certainly keeping me motivated,otherwise this would have got thrown in my work in progress pile and untouched for ages.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s